If you’re a registered Globe BMX Member and are ready to start practicing, please join us each Sunday (with the exception of few)! Here is everything you need to know.
1. Check the schedule page (Sunday Practice section) first to make sure you are coming at the right time!
2. Make sure you’ve got all the gear and read the following!
Bike! Make sure it has a single hand-brake (no pedal brakes), no pegs, bells, reflectors, chain guards and anything extra on the bike is removed. This helps keep your rider and other riders safe on the track each time.
Helmet – make sure you have a full face helmet for you or your rider. When you are at the track and on your bike, your helmet is on. We like to think of the track area as the space within the perimeter walking path.
Clothing, gloves and shoes
– Motocross Pants & Jersey are recommended however any long sleeve and full leg outfit that is tear resistant will do. No Jeans, Sweats or Windpants – they would all tear and/or melt to skin in the event of a crash.
– Make sure your rider has full fingered gloves. These are a must and riders will not be allowed on the track without them
– Closed toe shoes, preferably flat soled skate style shoe, but shoes that allow you to grip your pedals and are comfortable will work. Laces should be well tied and not hanging loose.
– bring water and a snack
– Small toolbox if you have one (in case there are gear adjustments you need to make)
– Chair for spectating
– Backpack or wagon to haul your stuff out to the track
Volunteer Cheque – in order to receive your 2019 race plate (which is what you’ll need to be able to practice and race) please bring your volunteer cheque for $100. If you’ve previously sent us a temporary e-transfer, please bring a cheque! This is 1 cheque per family and is NOT cashed unless you do not fulfill your volunteer credits by the end of the Season, mid-September. We’ll be taking cheques and handing out plates all season.
If you want to read the full Volunteer Bond details, please look here: https://globebmx.com/racing/volunteer/volunteer-bond/ .
Volunteer – please use the form linked next to each date on the schedule page to register for a role on Sundays! https://globebmx.com/racing/schedule/
Parking – Vehicles are to be parked in the Lakewood Civic Center lot, and then gear and bikes walked or ridden behind the tennis dome to the track. Only vehicles on our permit list are ok to be parked out by the track.
Washrooms – Every year we rent a portable washroom so that riders don’t have to run all the way to the Civic Center. It will be locked during any non-practice and race times as we’ve experienced vandalism in the past.
3. Coaching & Practice Plan – Each Sunday we’ll have coaching available to the best of our ability. Some Sundays will be more about drills and learning and others will be about running gates and race-like practice.
Coaches with Globe BMX are volunteers. For the 2019 season our volunteer coaches are Steve Rosman, Chris Gurney and Lori Smith. If you’d like to become involved as a coach please let us know!